It’s been a long time since I last posted a new recipe here…I’ve been mainly focusing on other parts of the sustainable world but today, I’m back with a recipe that I was excited to try for a long time: pulled jackfruit pie!
I’ve bought pulled jackfruit ready to eat before but I never tried making it myself. So yesterday, while we were at the farmer markets, we spotted this beautiful jackfruit and thought that it was a good opportunity to give it a go.
Jackfruit is a great fruit to use in savoury dishes as it has a very subtle and mild sweet flavour. It contains great amounts of fibre so it helps reduce blood sugar spikes. It also is a good source of protein (approximately 3 grams per cup) compared to other fruits.
Sweet & Sour Pulled Jackfruit Pie
Making pulled jackfruit was easier than I expected but I would love to try different sauces and cooking methods. What I made this weekend was a sweet and sour pie with a hint of paprika which turned out really good and with a great balance between the sweet, sour and a little spicy.
This time I was feeling lazy and we were late for lunch so I just used some leftover pastry I had in the freezer. But I would love (and highly recommend) to make my own.
As we bought the whole fruit, we cut it open, deseeded and cooked in one go but I save a little extra for other recipes to try this week.
For this pie I only used the jackfruit for the filling. You can add other vegetables to add extra flavour and texture.
So with no further ado, here’s my recipe for Sweet & Sour Pulled Jackfruit Pie!
- 2 cups jackfruit
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp rosemary
- Coriander seeds, cumin powder (to taste)
- Paprika (to taste)
- Salt & pepper
- Olive oil
- 1 sheet of shortcrust pastry
- Mozzarella (or vegan cheese)
- Cut open, remove fruit pulp, deseed and set aside OR remove water if you buy canned jackfruit.
- Chop onion and garlic and sauté in a large pan with olive oil.
- When onion is translucent, add the jackfruit.
- Braise the jackfruit until golden brown.
- Now add all the seasoning.
- Also add the dijon mustard and balsamic vinegar and cover the jackfruit.
- Let it cook for about 15 minutes or until tender.
- Once it's cooked, remove from heat and place jackfruit in a plate to shred.
- Now, preheat the oven at 180ºC.
- Line a round tray with a sheet of shortcrust pastry.
- Place it in the oven to cook for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and transfer the jackfruit filling into the tray.
- Top with vegan cheese or mozzarella and oregano.
- Cook until golden (about 10 minutes).
- Remove from the oven and serve.
Peace and love,