Today I woke up quite early (read 4:30) because my dear boyfriend decided to go surfing (yes, at 4:30am) and woke me up in the process and I couldn’t go back to sleep afterwards. So there I laid for some time, trying to bring myself to go back to sleep to no avail. Up already I headed to the kitchen to at least, make the best out of my ridiculously early morning. And I can’t complain about the results. I managed a pretty decent loaf of banana bread and a recipe for a no-oat granola (YUM!). But I’ll leave that for another time…today, I’ll just focus on this super delicious, light, not too sweet banana bread recipe.
My boyfriend loves banana bread, so I thought I’d be a good girlfriend and make him a special one, as he is now avoiding gluten. Damn, he is a lucky guy…
Buckwheat Banana Bread (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
I decided to adapt and change some things from a recipe my mother shared with me and managed to avoid gluten and eggs which were in the original recipe and I’m pretty impressed by the result. The bread still turned out pretty fluffy and rich in texture but as I didn’t add any type of sugar (!!!) on it, it’s not an overly sweet recipe. Perfect for anyone avoiding sugars and fat as I subbed the regular oil for coconut oil. So all in all, we’ve got a winner!
This recipe is pretty simple actually and required mere 6 ingredients and less than an hour to make. You must use over ripped bananas though, otherwise you’ll get a very bland and non-sweet banana bread…not really what you want.
Maybe that’s the perfect recipe you’ve been looking for for Mother’s Day! Spoil your mom without spoiling her diet huh? Yeah, I know, great idea. You’re welcome.
To add that final touch, I put some walnut in the dough and on top, just before baking, but you can be creative and add cranberries for a sweet & sour hint or other nuts and dried fruits.
So here you have it. A great recipe that’s easy to make and super tasty and extremely healthy. Nothing like that sugar and fat laden banana bread slices that are worth a whole meal of calories and will leave you hungry before you leave the coffee shop…
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my hungry boyfriend. And let me know if you try it! Would love to hear your feedback.
- 5 (overripe) bananas
- 1½ cups of buckwheat flour
- ½ cup of (melted) coconut oil
- 1 cup of crushed walnut (you can use pecans or other nuts)
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of nutmeg powder
- 2 (heaped) tsp of baking powder
- First off, prepare a bread tin with oil and pre-heat the oven on 180°C degrees.
- Peel and add the bananas in your food processor, together with the buckwheat flour and the melted coconut oil until smooth.
- Mix well until you get a uniform consistency.
- Add the crushed nut and cinnamon/nutmeg. Mix through again.
- Last, add the baking powder.
- Pour the mix in the tin and place in the oven for about 40 minutes.
- Remove and serve with a drizzle of syrup or butter/peanut butter.
Enjoy it and happy long weekend!