This recipe is one of the 5-part Thai Food Special I’m posting with all the vegan recipes I’ve made on a Cooking Class in Chiang Mai. If you want to see the other recipes, click here.
Tom Kha (Coconut Soup)
Tom Kha is a coconut based soup made with aromatic ingredients such as lemongrass, galangal and kafir lime leaves.
The soup can be made as spicy as you like, so be careful, the addition of other ingredients really made the spice come alive in this dish and if you can’t handle it, just go slow.
This is a very light soup and perfect as an entrée too.
Originally, this soup is made with chicken but I’ve made mine with mushrooms and turmeric tofu. You can also substitute all the non-vegan ingredients like fish sauce for soy sauce.
Try this dish for a simple and light dinner that’s packed with flavour and aroma.
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1 stalk of lemongrass sliced in quarters
- 1 thin slice of galangal
- 2 kefir lime leaves (stalk removed and quartered)
- 1-3 small chillies smashed (decide on how much spice you want it)
- 1 tomato coarsely chopped
- 1-2 oyster mushrooms chopped
- ½ onion chopped
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Spring onion & Coriander for garnish
- Heat the coconut milk in a saucepan over hight heat.
- Then add the lemongrass, galangal, kafir lime leaves and the chillies and cook fro 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, onion and mushrooms and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Lower the heat and now add the sugar, soy sauce and lime juice.
- Add the garnishes and serve.
- Enjoy (but don't eat the aromatics such as kafir leaves, galangal, chilli and lemongrass).
Want more Thai Recipes, check here!
Peace and love,