This recipe is one of the 5-part Thai Food Special I’m posting with all the vegan recipes I’ve made on a Cooking Class in Chiang Mai. If you want to see the other recipes, click here.
Panang Curry Paste
Panang Curry is one of the popular curry dishes in Thailand together with Green Curry, Red Curry and in Chiang Mai, Khao Soi curry (might add this recipe to the list, should I?).
Curry making always sounded really difficult and labour-intensive…and well, it can be. But after I left my boyfriend pound and almost give up mashing all the goodies onto a paste, we found out you can simply add everything to a food processor and press the button. Ta-daaa! Simple, delicious, fresh paste that can be also frozen in ice cube containers for up to 1 month.
Check the recipe for variations on the Red/Panang/Khao Soi Curry.
- 7-12 Large Red chilli chopped
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 10 g ginseng
- 1 stalk of lemongrass
- 2 kafir lime leaves
- 10 g galangal
- 10 g turmeric
- 10 g garlic (or 2 cloves)
- 10 g shallots
- Add 1 tbsp of peanuts
- Add 1 tsp of curry powder
- Add the coriander seed to the mortar and pound until it becomes powdery.
- Then add the chillies and pound well.
- Lastly, add the remaining ingredients (leaving the peanuts for last), and pound until it becomes a paste.
Want more Thai Recipes, check here!
Peace and love,