I don’t know about you guys, but I LOVE chocolate mousse. It used to be my favourite dessert when I was little but just recently I’ve found out that myself and my partner are both lactose intolerant (another hint to become vegan maybe?). And anyways, I really haven’t had my mom’s chocolate mousse in ages, so imagine my relieve and happiness when I found that you could turn Aquafaba into “egg whites”.
Ok, so if you are not sure what Aquafaba is, I’ll explain. It’s like the super hero of the egg-allergic people (hence the name 😛 ) ok, kidding. But really, it’s kinda true. Aquafaba is the brine that comes in every can of chickpeas that you use to make your hummus. So, never, ever again, waste that precious water, ok?
I was a bit sceptical about that boring yellow-ish water to become as thick and airy as egg whites, but oh boy, I was wrong. It turned exactly like that…to my surprise and joy.
So, you can all tell that I’m really glad that this recipe turned out perfectly well and I’m extremely happy with the fact that this recipe is super healthy (as far as how healthy a whole block of 70% chocolate goes). But despite that, this recipe contains only 4 other ingredients and takes less than 30 minutes to make. Yep, that’s right. No cooking, just a lot of action in those arms in case you don’t have an electric whisk. See, even a workout added to it to make it even healthier. Sweet!
Ok, I’ll cut the talk and head straight to it. I’ve haven’t had much time free these days, so I’ll really just shut up and give you the recipe.
- 200ml of Aquafaba (approximately 1 can of chickpeas brine)
- 100g of 70% Dark Chocolate
- 10 drops of Stevia (or for any other sweetener of your choice make it 1 teaspoon)
- ½ tsp of Organic Vanilla Essence
- Tip of a teaspoon of Cream of Tartar
- Garnishes: Cocoa Nibs, Berries, Crushed Nuts...
- First, melt the chocolate in bain marie or in the microwave (just be careful with the microwave as it can burn quite quickly. Add the stevia and vanilla essence and mix well. Once the chocolate is melted, set aside to cool while you prepare the ‘egg whites’.
- Sift the aquafaba water before pouring into a bowl. Then, using an electric whisk (highly recommended) beat the chickpeas brine for around 10 minutes or until peaks start to form and you have a very consistent texture, like egg whites, you should be able to tip the bowl upside down and it should stay there.
- Now, slowly fold the melted chocolate into the bowl and incorporate it gently with the aquafaba. Be careful and gentle and mix it throughly.
- Serve the chocolate mousse into little glass containers. Garnish with your preferred toppings and refrigerate it for about 5 hours before serving.
- (Note: recipe adapted from Crazy Vegan Kitchen)
Peace and Love,