Easter is finally here!!! And for those of you who read my last post, you are already warned that I’m not making chocolate eggs (as I suck at making them). So I decided to share my take on an Australian classic: Carrot Cake.
As you may have noticed, this carrot cake looks a tad bit different from the ones you are used to. This beauty here is the Brazilian version of it. And in Brazil we love our chocolate very much, so we spread everywhere…and this cake turns out soooo much better than the regular one (sorry, no hard feelings, please) with chocolate on top. Let’s be honest, what doesn’t taste good with chocolate, right?
Plus, this recipe has an even better twist as it is vegan and pretty healthy too. With wholemeal and organic ingredients, this dessert will certainly adapt to your healthy lifestyle like a piece of cake this holiday season (ha! see what I did there?) ?
Easter is a beautiful holiday. For most of you, especially in the Northern hemisphere, it’s Spring time which means it’s time for cleansing and renewing. For the Southern hemisphere it’s time to prepare for the winter. In any case, it means change to most of us. Time to be grateful and appreciate the great things that we have had so far and the ones that are to come.
Isn’t that beautiful? I’m certainly grateful for so much abundance and love in my life. What are you grateful for?
I’m also really grateful for the beautiful cake I’m about to eat too. So let’s get down to business and talk about this cake.
This Carrot Cake is particularly delicious because it’s packed with vegetables. Vegetables make life a lot lighter and healthier, right? As they do make this cake a very light and delicious option instead of those sugar packed recipes. Perfect for the kids to dig in plus it’s packed full of good nutrients too. I chose to use organic and whole ingredients as they make it a more nutritiously dense option and just a tiny bit naughty. Life is about balance after all.
So, let’s do it?
- 2 large organic carrots (room temperature)
- ½ cup organic coconut oil melted
- 1½ cups of organic oat milk (room temperature)
- 3 cups of wholemeal flour
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 100gr 80% dark chocolate (vegan)
- 4 tbsp of coconut cream (the top layer of the can)
- 10 drops of Stevia (optional)
- Firstly, pre heat the oven on 180°C.
- Grease a pan with a hole and set aside.
- In the food processor, add the peeled carrots in large chunks, the coconut oil and the oat milk (note: warm the milk a little so when added to the coconut oil, it won't harden the oil) and blend until homogeneous, then set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, sift the brown sugar and the salt. Mix until all even.
- Add the carrot mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Lastly, add the baking powder and mix one last time.
- Pour in the pan and put in the oven for about 40-50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the icing, melt the chocolate in bain-marie.
- Then add the coconut milk and stevia drops and mix well.
- Once the cake is slightly cold spread the chocolate icing on top and serve.
Enjoy it and Happy Easter to you all!