This recipe is one of our household favourites and usually the first thing I make to anyone new to vegetarian or vegan recipes. It’s hearty, comforting and delicious doesn’t even describes it. Always a winner!
This combo is inspired by the original Stroganoff (a traditional Russian dish) which is curiously popular in Brazil. It’s made with beef and heavy cream, but for this recipe I use my trusty coconut cream as a base. For the protein you can use any hearty ingredients such as mushrooms (in the recipe) or plant-based meats (like in the photos below) as I do usually with some vegetarian ‘chicken’. This meal is perfect for quick weeknight dinners and it’s a breeze to cook.
No soaking nuts, no long list of ingredients, no complicated methods, just really easy and quick cooking required and delicious food results. If you have been following me for a while, you probably, know that I’m the kind of cook (if I say so myself) that hates complicated cooking that requires more than 10 ingredients or will take just too much of my time. You know, I have quite a lot in my plate (sorry for the pun) and I bet you guys too, so why just not make it simple?
So, I hope you enjoy this simplified, vegan recipe. I hope you like it as much as I do. Let’s get down to it!
- 1 can of organic full cream coconut milk
- 1 can of organic diced tomatoes (or 1 jar of passata)
- 500g of chopped mushroom
- 1 small onion
- 1 large clove of garlic
- salt & pepper to taste
- Rosemary, oregano & thyme (to taste)
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Olive oil
- Your choice of Pasta
- In a large pan over medium heat, add 1-2 tbsp of olive oil. Add one finely chopped onion and a chopped garlic. Sauté until soft and then add the mushrooms.
- Add the salt and pepper now and the smoked paprika.
- Cook well until the bottom of the pan starts to stick and the mushrooms are caramelised (be careful not to burn them).
- Then, add the diced tomatoes (season with a tiny bit of sugar if needed in case the tomatoes are too acidic).
- After 15 minutes, add all the can of coconut milk and stir until it’s all well combined. Season with the herbs and taste for salt.
- Add the pasta to the sauce and add water as needed (don’t add too much water at once but rather add as you go, so the sauce doesn’t get too watery). Remember to mix the pasta through every now and then so it doesn’t stick in the bottom.
- The pasta will cook in the sauce and become really creamy and flavoursome.
- Once the pasta is cooked, serve and eat immediately.