This recipe is one of the 5-part Thai Food Special I’m posting with all the vegan recipes I’ve made on a Cooking Class in Chiang Mai. If you want to see the other recipes, click here.
Papaya Salad (Som Tum)
Som Tum or Papaya Salad is one of the most famous dishes in Thailand. Made with green papaya, this salad is definitely not as fruity as you would expect. Instead, lots of savoury, spicy and fresh flavours are combined to make a refreshing yet super interesting salad! Perfect for summer or as an entrée.
The salad itself, is ridiculously easy to make. Just mix the seasoning in a mortar and pestle and gently combine the ingredients.
Then add the green papaya and stir. In case you can’t find papaya, use cucumber, green mango or even apple. Just remeber, the greener, the better!
- 1-3 small green chillies (up to you how spicy you want it)
- 2 pieces of garlic
- 1 tbsp of coconut sugar (if using brown sugar, double amount)
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Pinch of salt
- Handful of long beans (cut in small bites)
- Half tomato chopped
- 1 cup of shredded papaya
- ½ cup of shredded carrot
- 1 tbsp of toasted peanuts
- Add the chillies, garlic and salt in a mortar and gently pound them. Add the coconut sugar and lime and combine.
- Then, add the beans and tomatoes in the mortar and pound a little more, again, very gently not to mush everything together.
- Transfer the seasoning to a bowl and add the remaining ingredients.
- Mix well and serve.
For more Thai Recipes, check here!
Peace and love,